Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Is patience still a virtue?

We have all heard the old saying "patience is a virtue" but does that still apply? And if so, where does it still apply? Definitely not in the world of the modern day consumer. We want what we want and we want it NOW! There are several industries that have gone almost by the wayside due to our impatience.

Love me some Netflix
The first industry that has taken a major hit is the movie and video rental industry. With all the streaming capabilities that most homes have it is unnecessary to wait in line at Blockbuster. I guess there probably aren't many lines left but you still have to get off your butt and drive there, wasting precious petrol, as our friends across the pond would call it. I would tend to agree with the majority. The invention of Netflix, HBO Go and the many other video streaming services has been a god send. Apparently this trend has come to a head and Blockbuster has decided to close all of the store they were still paying to keep the lights on.

A piece of my childhood is dead
The other industry that has taken a hit is the newspaper industry. While this industry has been a bit more resilient, the impatience of the consumer has still taken its toll. We want to know what is going whats going on in the world and again we want it NOW. We don't want to wait for the story in the morning paper. we want play by play updates. We want color commentary of everything from the political climate in the middle east to the hourly weather reports. Again, I am guilty of impatience in this arena as well. I have fallen victim to the necessity of constant updates.

I think I like this better
It has always been important to be able to deliver your products and services in a timely manner or at least a manner that is suitable to the customer. But as of recently the timeliness of the manner is continually shrinking. We must continue to figure out ways to deliver our services more quickly and conveniently.

1 comment: